The story of a cyclist and a caterpillar


Everything started as it usually does: unpredictably. During one of my regular job visits to Celje a co-worker mentioned a book called "Power of Now". I misheard it as "The Power of Love" and scoffed at it cynically. However five years later it became part of the usual everyday eco-routine called “mindfulness”. In the early stages of “Now” I tried to identify myself with some animal. During my cycling sessions I imagined myself as a golden eagle: in high patrol above Alpine peaks, fully present, not contemplating, cautious, with sharp vision and delicate maneuvering in the wind with just a slight twitches of his primary feathers. With this approach I once took a climb to Trebeljevo, coming from the direction of Štanga. About a kilometer and a half to the top, where, in a right turn, the forest ends on the left hand side, revealing pastures at the bottom, I saw a caterpillar on the ground in front of me. It was crossing the road. It was of a rather fat sort, not too hairy and was moving in manner of reversed letter “U”, so that it pulled its rear end to the front supported itself on the rear end and extended the front end forward. And then repeated it all again. In that moment I identified myself with it. I can't say if that was the same feeling as some privileged people have had experiencing a magical feeling of oneness with the Universe, observing Sirius on clear November nights and unmistakable Orion beside it, realizing that atoms of their breath are part of the stars hundreds of light years from the Earth. But it may have been so. The caterpillar’s movement undoubtedly triggered a bunch of invisible tornados, air turbulences of which some atoms I inhaled when I rode around it in a respectful wide turn, and was so given a blessing of an incredibly complicated mechanism which supports movements, breathing, blood flow, digestion, immune system, electrical signals in the miniature brain and many other unimaginable and unspeakable things that makes possible the elegant movement, existence and evolution of a seemingly insignificant caterpillar. When I rode around it and wiped it off forever from my mind, I realized, with a reproachable smile, that within a few hours I will be listening to unintelligent chatter of the reporters on the national TV and the next day reading hopelessly unnecessary articles on huge amount of daily newspaper, which will end as garbage before it reaches a hundredth of the elegance and relevance of my personal caterpillar.


Bike and baggage on the tour to Nordkapp

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar