Introduction


Norwegian trolls
In my last cycle touring episode we gained insight into the Big Picture. There we proved that there is no such thing as an intelligent "Master plan" in Nature. We now turn attention to one particular form in the Nature: the humans. If we look at it objectively, there is nothing special about this form, except maybe its narcisoid self-proclamation as a pinnacle of evolution and awareness of existence. The best proof that all of that is pile of bullshit is the fact that humans are constantly nervous, worrying about the outcome of their actions, restlessly in search for something better and rarely fully at ease unless they take a drug. The latest fashion in addressing these problems is named “mindfulness” (unsuitably i.m.o.; “mindlessness” or “presence” would be more appropriate), although the tradition of it dates back thousants of years, including numerous gurus and their followers sitting motionlessly under the trees. It is a painful effort not to be constantly occupied with the mind but to take the present moment as it is - something other forms of life (a parasitic fly, for example) manage to do naturally and effortlessly.
 
The virus of the mind affected me as well, as I have realized it unfortunately very late in life. I have a feeling of having lost most of my time due to it. Considering the average life span for men in my country, I have about 5400 more days in disposition. It doesn't seem very much, so I thought I should make the most of it. “Carpe diem” as the Romans said. I decided to give the practice of “Presence” a try and the first opportunity to do that was on a short cycling tour to Nordkapp in Norway.
 
But let me first start with a little story. One of the great stories of human civilization.

Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar